May is Lupus Research Awareness Month.
The Lupus Alliance of Long Island Queens has facilitated the LRI National Coalition, a group comprised of many Individual non-profit organizations dedicated to serving the lupus community. Over the last ten years, the LALIQ has donated over $500,000 to worthy, novel research grants into the cause and cure of lupus.
Donations Made To the LALIQ For Research Have Helped Make Key Lupus Research Discoveries in the Last Several Years Including:
- Genes that Increase Susceptibility to Lupus Two genes were identified that make lupus-prone mice susceptible to lupus—fresh insight into how the disease develops.
- How Lupus Damages Organs—Kidneys, Heart, Brain, Skin Five novel explanations for how lupus damages vital organs such as the kidneys, brain, and heart have been confirmed, giving hope to finding new ways to stop the damage before it occurs.
- Pathways that Enable Misguided Antibodies to Attack Four pathways involved in auto-antibodies —to the body rather than outside invaders were discovered.
- Molecules that Determine Control of the Immune System Four molecules that act as critical control points for the immune system. These molecules present drug targets for lupus and other autoimmune diseases.
- Targets for New Treatments Promising results are enticing pharmaceutical companies to explore new drugs for lupus for the first time in decades.
- 20+ New Biomarkers for Diagnosing, Monitoring & Treating Lupus Biomarkers are crucial for monitoring, managing, and determining treatment efficacy in lupus.
In honor of Lupus Awareness Month, please make a donation to research by using the form below. Research donations made through the Lupus Alliance of LIQ will help fund novel research into the cause and cure of lupus.