Find Your Lupus Friend
We are happy to welcome you to one of the Lupus Alliance of LIQ`s newest programs, the Lupus Friend Program. The Lupus Friend Program aims to create, nurture and sustain an environment in which patients can share their experience and knowledge by paring relatively experienced patients with relatively new ones, becoming “lupus friends.” Our hope is that you will walk away from every interaction with your Lupus Friend feeling better about your life with lupus.
Often times lupus patients feel isolated with no one to talk to who understands what they are going through. We all need validation about our feelings, fears and hopes and sometimes our best sources of relief from what we are experiencing comes from the people who are in the same situation as ourselves.
The Lupus Friend Program Will:
- Identify, target and recruit patients who may benefit from a lupus friend.
- Survey potential participants for key information in a confidential manner.
- Organize interested patients into compatible pairs.
- Facilitate initial meetings and communication within each pair.
- Provide follow-up and other support to program participants and allow for natural evolution or re-pairing of buddies.
- Provide friend pairs with resources and techniques to increase lupus awareness in their communities.
You May be an Ideal Candidate for the Lupus Friend Program if:
- You’re an experienced patient and feel that others can benefit from your experience.
- You’re just starting to learn about lupus and feel that you’d benefit from the help of someone who has experience going through the same things you are.
- You would like to go to a lupus support group, but you are unable to at this time.
- You feel more comfortable sharing your experience and feelings one-on-one rather than in a group.
- You want to expand your support network to include someone who’s been hand-picked to match your experience.
The Three C’s of Being Great Lupus Friend
Communication: Like all relationships professional and personal, clear communication and understanding is the first key to being great lupus friends.
Confidentiality: The LALIQ is committed to protecting the privacy of program participants. Any personal and medical information friends choose to provide to the LALIQ is confidential,and it is critical that each member in a pair strive to protect the others confidentiality and privacy.
Compatibility: While we will use best practices and judgments to construct the initial pairs,it is important to understand that not every pair will be ideal. It’s imperative that all participants understand that the need to re-pair is not a personal reflection on either buddy,and that every participant in this program has a great deal to offer.
Interested? Please Complete the Form Below and a program coordinator will be in touch with you. You may also call us at (516) 783-3370 if you have any questions or would like to sign up by phone.
Lupus Friend Disclaimer
The Lupus Friend Program, does not supply professional medical advice or clinical treatment information. Any advice or information that you may receive through conversations with your lupus friend is not a substitute for professional medical advice nor the opinion of or authorized by the Lupus Alliance of LIQ.
The Lupus Alliance of LIQ makes no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied, regarding the completeness, accuracy, or currency of any information given to you by your lupus friend.
The LALIQ is brokering the relationship between you and your lupus friend only. Once you have been matched and met with your friend, the LALIQ is not responsible for the content of your meetings. In exchange for availing yourself of the lupus friend program you agree that the LALIQ shall not be liable to you for any loss or injury caused in whole or part by either negligence or contingencies beyond its control in regard to your lupus friendship. In no event will the LALIQ be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you in regard to your lupus friendship.