The Quality of Life Grant
The Quality of life grant is a financial assistance program for those members of the Lupus Alliance of LIQ who have lupus of any age. This grant provides help for medications, medical bills, transportation to and from your doctor’s office and other medical related expenses.
Once your application is received it is brought before the decision committee, where you are usually notified within one week if you have been approved for a grant. Once approved, a check can only be written to the company or companies that you are using the money for, we cannot write checks directly in your name.
To qualify you must be a member of the Lupus Alliance of LIQ , prove financial hardship and send in a completed application, including all documents requested which include;
- proof of income
- proof of residence in Nassau, Suffolk or Queens Counties
- proof of lupus diagnosis from a doctor.
Attention All members!
As of January 1, 2011 the following rules will be in affect until further notice:
- You must be a current member of our organization before you request the grant application. This does not mean you need to be a paying member, you can still be a complimentary member, but you must be current in order for the application to be sent to you.
- You must send the required documentation with your grant application. Grants will no longer be approved while awaiting your documented proof. This includes copies of the bills you are requesting assistance with. All applications without proof will not be given to the committee.
- The committee will no longer pay for recurrent household expenses. In other words, bills that are paid monthly such as phone, cable and Lipa are no longer acceptable. If you are in danger of having one of these items cut off, the committee will consider that an emergency and consider the request; however that will be determined on a case to case basis.
- The committee will pay – Medical bills, Prescription Expenses, Transportation to and from the doctor, co-pays, medical supplies such as glasses, wigs, braces, wheelchairs etc.
- Previous approvals for grants does not establish entitlement to future grants.